The Minnesota Council of Churches is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Scroll down for additional postings.
Link to MCC Employment Application form
Position Title: Twin Cities Interfaith Network Intern
Position Description: The Minnesota Council of Churches participates as a member in the “Twin Cities Interfaith Network” whose mission is to facilitate communication and cooperation among Twin Cities metro area organizations/congregations/ groups/institutions committed to fostering inter-religious relationships, understanding, service and/or advocacy. TCIN meetings are held on the third Thursday of the month, 11:30-1:00pm at the Minnesota Church Center. The intern will assist with organizing these meetings.
Supervision: Intern report to the MCC Interfaith/Multi-faith Senior Program Manager
- Assist with communications about upcoming meetings
- Record and distribute minutes from meetings
- Create and maintain social media about TCIN.
- Collect and maintain lists of contacts and participants
- Research other interfaith organizations similar to TCIN
- Enter participants information into data base
- Other tasks as assigned.
Time Commitment: Scheduling is flexible, but it is expected that the intern would dedicate 2 – 6 hours a week to the work, more during the weeks when the dialogue is scheduled. Must be available on the afternoon of the third Thursday of the month and have transportation to the Minnesota Church Center. The internship is unpaid and will run through May of 2015.
- Background or coursework in Global or Comparative religion recommended
- Knowledge of world religions, or willingness to learn
- Comfort with use of various social media platforms
- Assertiveness, confidence, and a positive attitude
- Computer literacy with Microsoft Office
- Ability to speak, read, and write fluently in English
- Ability to work independently and problem-solve
- Flexibility, good humor, and perseverance
Location: The internship is located at the Minnesota Council of Churches, at 122 W. Franklin Ave., Suite 100, Minneapolis, MN, 55404. A computer station and phone can be available for scheduled times to work from the office.
To Apply: Email letter and resume to Kim Olstad at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions call Kim at 612-230-3210.
Title: Employment Services Intern
(612) 230-3221 • email@example.com
MCC Refugee Services is a refugee resettlement agency that provides many supportive services to recently-arrived refugees and asylees, including Employment Services.
The Employment Services Intern will help with the Employment Team’s efforts to find and obtain sustainableand appropriate employment for some of the most vulnerable refugees in our program. These may include individuals that have recently arrived in Minnesota and speak limited English and have no work experience or formal education. The intern will spend the majority of his/her time working one-on-one with these refugees to help them based on their specific needs. Interns may also work independently conducting research and gathering information on various potential employers.
The Intern’s primary focus will be providing individual support to specific job-seekers and responding to needs as they arise. This may include the following duties:
- Help refugees who are approaching deadlines to apply to jobs and fill out applications
- Help prepare refugees for interviews and accompany them to appointments
- Accompany refugees on weekly job-search outings in specific neighborhoods and identify potential employers
- Coordinate transportation of refugees; help them ride bus and understand Metro Transit options and occasionally provide rides
- Research and investigate industries in the Twin Cities area that are hiring
- Outreach to new employers and educate and advocate on behalf of clients
- Experience working with English language learners
- Proven ability to work in a multicultural setting
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Reliability, flexibility and creativity
- Knowledge of Twin Cities and the companies in the area
- Knowledge of the Metro Transit bus system and/or willingness to learn about it
- Computer skills (MS Word) and experience with completing internet job applications
- Ability to work independently
- Reliable access to a vehicle, car insurance, and ability to pass a background and driving records check
Supervision and Training
The interns will work closely with and be supervised by the two professional Employment Counselors who bear the responsibility of job placements in a supportive role. On-site, continued training will include informational overview from staff and support as needed throughout internship.
Time Commitment and Location
Interns must be able to contribute 10 hours per week on a consistent basis between the hours of 8am – 5pm Monday through Friday. This is an unpaid internship with time commitment between 3-4 months and an option to extend further. The intern fulfills his/her primary responsibilities at MCC Refugee Services’ office at 122 Franklin Ave. West, Suite 100, Minneapolis.
How to apply
Interested candidates can email their resume and a cover letter expressing their interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also complete the Volunteer Application found at www.mnchurches.org/refugeeservices/volunteer-application. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Link to MCC Employment Application form