The Health Commons is drop-in center for residents of the Cedar Riverside area. It provides health-related education, links people to existing resources, and provides basic supplies for people who can’t afford them (all services are free!). The space is welcoming and culturally relevant for all.
1501 S 6th Street
- Fit & Friendly- a physical activity program designed to promote health and fitness for all age groups. Wednesdays from 1-3pm
- “Say Yes to No” Workshops- parent education workshops that give parents more practical strategies to help parents raise more self-aware, self-disciplined, self-reliant kids. This program is offered in partnership with Somali Women Education Network. Thursdays 12:30- 2pm
- Health Education Forums- Community forums designed to allow opportunity for informational exchange between community and health professionals.
- Speaking Up & Speaking Out!- Explores ways girls/women can learn to grow more comfortable and confident in public and help them discover their voice through performance. Fridays 4-5 pm
- Healthy eating workshops, Fridays from 3:30-5pm
- Chair Massage, Fridays 1-4 pm
- Healing Touch- a healing method that was derived from an ancient lying—on of hands technique. The practitioner alters the patient’s energy field through an energy transfer that moves from the hands of the practitioner to the patient. Fridays 1-4pm
- Health Consultations- 1:1 consultations with participants. Wednesdays and Fridays 1-5 pm
- As well as other basic health programs such as help with medications and screenings (for diabetes, hypertension, height/weight). Fridays 1-5 pm