Consider trying this mouth-watering yogurt coconut chicken curry recipe from Somalia. The yogurt helps tenderize the meat and most of the spices are probably already in your pantry!
½ c. Canola oil
2 Large garlic cloves
1 T Fresh ginger, grated
1 T Cumin Powder
1 T Curry powder
1 tsp Turmeric powder
¼ tsp Cardamom powder
1 T Vegeta seasoning or 2 bouillon cubes (Maggi, Knorr etc.) or 2 tsp salt
2 Jalapeno peppers (or to taste) – Remove the seeds if you do not like it very spicy
1 c. Plain yogurt
2 T Tomato paste
1 Potato, cubed
1 Carrot, chopped
1 Sweet red pepper, chopped
2 lb. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs (cubed)
1 can Coconut milk
1 T Brown sugar (packed)
3 T Butter or ghee (optional)
1 c. Cilantro (chopped)
1. Blend the onions and garlic, then saute in the oil for 5 minutes.
2. Add ginger, other spices, and bouillon cubes.
3. Process tomatoes and jalapenos and then add to the pot.
4. Add the yogurt then cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
5. Add the potato and carrot. Cover and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
6. Add the sweet pepper, chicken, coconut milk, brown sugar, and butter or ghee.
7. Cover and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
8. Add the chopped cilantro. Serve with white rice.
Recipe credit: http://xawaash.com/?p=4301 Visit the website for a step-by-step video and many other great Somali recipes.